What's It All About

Thursday, February 28, 2013

Tutorial Thursday for The Stamping Chef - Box Card

Welcome to Tutorial Thursday or as I fondly like to call it – Recipe Thursday for The Stamping Chef --- shall we see what’s cooking????

Today, I have whipped up a box card complete with step-by-step pictures and instructions. If you follow this, you too will have a super card to place a super digital design by The Stamping Chef. The Stamping Chef is having a super duper sale going on right now --- Buy 3 Get 1 Free. Also, there are always freebies to try before you buy!!!!

Here’s the finished product, just be patient with me with all the little steps (almost 100 – ok, just kidding!!!)



Supply List:



  • 8-1/2 x 11 inch piece of double sided patterned lightweight cardstock – do no be a doofus like I was and use a paper with sparkle as it has a tendency to cause hair pulling out!!!
  • Score Board – I used Martha Stewart’s
  • Scissors
  • Adhesive
  • Digital design- The Stamping Chef Hold On
  • Border punch – I used Martha Stewart Eyelet punch
  • Complimentary cardstock for oval mat and insert
  • Rubber Stamp

Alrighty, do we have our supplies??? Let’s get started


  • I used a 12 x 12 double-sided piece of paper and needed to trim to the necessary 8-1/2 x 11 inch




  • Place the patterned paper into the score board with the 8-1/2 inch on top scoring at 2-1/8 and 6-3/8 inch




  • Place the patterned paper with the 11 inch on top scoring at 1-1/4 and 3-3/8 inch. 




  • Repeat this step on the other side of the paper
  • Prefold the long score lines


  • Unfold your paper and keep the side that you wish to be the outside of the box facing you
  • Fold the two (2) score lines on the 8-1/2 inch side up. Flip the paper over and fold the second set of score lines down showing the pretty edge
  • Fold the short sides up




  • Take the upper corner of the just folded side and carefully fold it down diagonally – be careful not to rip the paper --- this is where you really notice that I was a doofus and using the paper with glitter and it is harder to fold


  • Repeat this step on all four (4) corners
  • Unfold everything and you can see the box shape forming!!!


  • Adhere the decorative strip to the un-scored sides trimming to 4-inches that it is only placed in the center





  • Cut the corner rectangles diagonally from the long, un-scored sides toward the edge NOT completely but just on a slight angle. This ensures that parts of the side won’t show after you fold your box and eliminates a lot of bulk!!! (Gee, I wish I could do that with my body!!)




  • Take one of the corners next to the decorated side and fold it over to the long side
  • Repeat on the other corner of that SAME long side
  • Fold the long-side down
  • Repeat these steps on the other side


  • Fold sides down carefully --- ***HINT: this is actually a bit difficult without getting the added bulk but found that it works if you unfold and refold as the thinner the paper, the easier the folding


Now, we are going to add a belly band which is purely decorative and optional


  • Cut a strip to compliment your paper 2-inches by 10 inches adding adhesive to the one end – you would want to wrap the strip around the card keeping it loose enuf to slide the belly band off and on



  • Cut a piece 3-1/2 x 3-1/2 inches of a complimentary piece to place on the inside of your box. I chalked around the edges after I used my oval corner punch. A sentiment may be placed here and then glued to the center of the inside of your box





  • This was then glued on my belly band covering my over-lapped seam
  • My digital was then glued on my oval.

VIOLA …. A finished box card!!!!


Now, you may ask what use is a box card --- WELL, you can use it to put a gift card, little treasures such as diamond earrings (LOL, just wishful thinking), memory card for a camera or cell phone, or this one is going to get a few Action Wobbles, buttons, and lace to mail as a belated birthday gift to a friend!!!

I hope you enjoyed my tutorial today. My apologies for the length but I have found from prior experience each step is necessary or you have not only wasted your paper and your time!!!!! If you have any questions, please leave a comment below and I will be more than happy to assist you!!!!!!!!

God Bless you and thanks ever sew much for stopping by today and help me reach 400 followers as we shall P-A-R-T-Y!!!!!
Much love, hugs, and friendship
Lynne

6 comments:

  1. Love this Lynne.. Super job on the tutorial too. Happy Scrappin

    SC DT Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great creation! I love the cute image. You did a wonderful job on the tutorial.Thanks for sharing. Edwina Brown

    ReplyDelete

I love love love to hear what you think about my projects and would love to read your thoughts and inspirations.. Thank you for leaving a comment as I read each and everyone and thank you for taking the time to visit. Much love, hugs, and friendship
Lynne
aka Her Craftiness